Chapter 2 Definitions
2013 CBC Revisions:
Intervening Code Cycle
Chapter 2 Definitions
Destination-Oriented Elevator Additions
- ACCESSIBILITY FUNCTION BUTTON. [DSA-AC]
- A button on an elevator hall call console in a destination-oriented elevator system that when pressed will activate a series of visual and verbal prompts and announcements providing instruction regarding hall call console operation and direction to an assigned elevator.
- DESTINATION-ORIENTED ELEVATOR. [DSA-AC]
- Destination-oriented elevators are operated by the user selecting a destination floor at a hall call console located at or near an elevator landing. The destination-oriented elevator system then assigns an elevator car which transports the user to the selected destination floor. Destination-oriented elevators do not provide floor selection within elevator cars.
- HALL CALL CONSOLE. [DSA-AC]
- An elevator call user interface exclusive to a destination-oriented elevator system that requires the user to select a destination floor prior to entering the elevator car.
Public Transportation Additions
- DESIGNATED PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. [DSA-AC]
- Transportation provided by a public entity (other than public school transportation) by bus, rail, or other conveyance (other than transportation by aircraft or intercity or commuter rail transportation) that provides the general public with general or special service, including charter service, on a regular and continuing basis.
- SPECIFIED PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. [DSA-AC]
- Transportation by bus, rail, or any other conveyance (other than aircraft) provided by a private entity to the general public, with general or special service (including charter service) on a regular and continuing basis.
Variable Message Sign Additions
- VARIABLE MESSAGE SIGNS (VMS). [DSA-AC]
- Electronic signs that have a message with the capacity to change by means of scrolling, streaming, or paging across a background.
- VARIABLE MESSAGE SIGN (VMS) CHARACTERS. [DSA-AC]
- Characters of an electronic sign are composed of pixels in an array. High resolution VMS characters have vertical pixel counts of 16 rows or greater. Low resolution VMS characters have vertical pixel counts of 7 to 15 rows.